News and Headlines
Facing Addiction in America: The Surgeon General's Report on Alcohol, Drugs, and Health is a comprehensive review of the science of substance use, misuse, and disorders. This report, the first ever issued by the Surgeon General which speaks to the importance of the issues related to substance abuse. Previous reports of the Surgeon General, including those on tobacco (1964), AIDS (1987), and mental health (1999), have helped to create understanding and urgency to address critical public health challenges.
Childhood Trauma Costs All Alaskans
What we experience as children affects us for a lifetime. The effects of childhood trauma go far beyond one child or one family, and can pass from generation to generation. Part of reducing the impact of childhood trauma in Alaska is getting educated:
If you or someone you know is in need of mental health services, treatment is available.
- Call 2-1-1 or visit www.Alaska211.org.
- Visit the online Mental Health Services Locator.
- Call the Alaska Mental Health Board at 1-888-464-8920.
- Call the 24/7 Treatment Referral Line at 1-800-662-4357 (provided by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration).
- Call the Alaska Peer Support Consortium at 907-258-2772 for information about peer support services in your community.
- Alaska’s Careline provides confidential 24/7 crisis support and intervention.
Alaskans can manage their emotional and mental fitness just like they can their physical health.
Learn about positive ways to improve and maintain your mental and emotional health from the Boards' Sound Minds in Sound Bodies campaign. Attend a training on how to identify signs of depression, how to reach out for support, and how to connect people to help.
Share how you are promoting personal and community mental wellness on our facebook page!
The Americans with Disabilities Act and Mental Health: Learn More, Be Empowered
Information and support for families of children and youth experiencing mood disorders: fact sheets, educational webinars, tools specifically for teens, support groups and more are all available.