Criminal Background Checks
Criminal Background checks are required on all individuals associated with the facilities as defined in the Criminal Background Check Regulations below.
All background check applications must go through the Department’s Criminal Background Check Unit (BCU), Certification & Licensing, Division of Health Care Services
Background Check Statutes and Regulations:
Background Check Statutes:
The current statute governing the background checks system used by the Department of Health and Social Services is AS 47.05.300–47.05.390
Background Check Regulations:
The current regulation which provides a common, consistent definition of barrier conditions for all programs 7 AAC 10.900-7 AAC 10.990
Barrier Crime Matrix:
Criminal Background Variance Request
: In the event you receive notification form the background unit stating you have been issued a “Not Eligible” determination a variance request may be submitted. Either you or your current or proposed employer may submit a variance request. If you want to apply for a variance online, you can go to the Alaska Background Check Unit
. You may also request a paper copy of the application from your employer or form the Variance Committee by contacting (907) 269-3640.
: Facilities who wish to request a variance for an employee who has a barrier crime must fill out the above form and submit it and all additional required documentation to the State Agency
. Only licensed entities may submit request for a variance.
Variance Continuation Request
Basic instructions for Variance Continuation Request:
1. File a new background check application with the BCP, with fingerprints and fees.
2. The applicant will receive a new Barring Condition Letter from the BCP.
3. Forward the new Barring Condition Letter along with the following documents to Health Facilities Licensing and Certification.
- a. The completed Variance Continuation Request form
- b. The Final Decision document from their most recent variance approval.
- c. A letter from the applicant’s supervisor attesting in writing to the fact that there have been no problems involving the employee at work and the employer would like to retain the applicant as an employee.
Division of Health Care Services
Health Facilities Licensing and Certification
Attn: Brenda Vincent
4501 Business Park Blvd. Bldg. L
Anchorage, AK 99503
Following a review, the facility will be sent a letter with the determination.
If you need further information you may contact HFL&C at (907) 334-2483.