Skip to content

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps)

The Alaska Food Stamp Program provides food benefits to low-income households. The federal government funds 100% of the Food Stamp benefit. The State pays half the costs of operating the Food Stamp Program in Alaska.

The Division of Public Assistance issues Food Stamp benefits via the Alaska Quest card. The amount a household receives each month depends on the household's countable income and size of the household. Eligible households use the Food Stamp benefits to buy food products from authorized stores statewide.

Eligible applicants must pass income and assets tests. The gross monthly income test is based on 130% of the current Alaska poverty standard.

Alaska has special rules that allow for higher Food Stamp benefits in rural areas, and the use of benefits to purchase certain hunting and fishing subsistence supplies.

Learn more about Food Stamps:


Residency. Applicants must be living in the State of Alaska to receive Food Stamp benefits from Alaska.

Age and Relationship. There are no specific age limits to receive Food Stamp benefits. Parents and their children 21 years old or younger living together are considered one household. Minors who apply on their own must be living without their parents. Individuals living together and who purchase and prepare food together are treated as one household.

Citizenship and Social Security Numbers. An applicant must be a U.S citizen, a U.S. National, or a qualified alien to get Food Stamp benefits. Some legal immigrants are ineligible for Food Stamp benefits; however, dependents of an ineligible immigrant are often eligible. All household members must have a social security number or proof of having applied for one.

Work. To receive Food Stamp benefits, most able-bodied people between 16 and 59 years old must register for work, participate in the Employment & Training Program if offered, accept offers of employment, and cannot quit a job.

Other Factors. Strikers must be resource and income eligible before the day of the strike. Most college students must be working half time, enrolled in work-study, caring for young dependents, or receiving Temporary Assistance. Individuals who have a Federal or State felony conviction for drug-related offenses may be eligible if they meet certain requirements. Individuals disqualified for fraud are ineligible for one year for the first offense, two years for the second offense, and permanently for the third. Dependents of disqualified or ineligible individuals may be eligible.

Resource Test. The asset limit is $2,250 for most households and $3,500 for households containing a member who is disabled or 60 years or older.

Assets not counted are the home and its lot, household goods, income producing property, real estate that is up for sale, cash value of life insurance, individual retirement accounts, college savings plans, personal property, and vehicles with equity value under $1,500. Other vehicles not counted are those used for family transportation, to go to and from work, to produce income, for subsistence hunting and fishing, as the household's home, to transport a disabled household member, and to carry the household's primary source of heating fuel or water.

Countable assets include cash on hand, money in checking/savings accounts, certificates of deposit, stocks, bonds, property not up for sale, and lump-sum payments.

Special rules apply to Alaska Permanent Fund Dividends.

Income Test. The Food Stamp Program does not count scholarships, grants and loans used for tuition and fees, reimbursements, Native dividends, heating assistance, earnings of children under age 18 who are in school, and loans.

Countable income includes wages, self-employment, public assistance benefits, unemployment benefits, worker's compensation, child support, pensions, social security, SSI, and Senior Benefits payments.

Special rules apply to Alaska Permanent Fund Dividends.

Deductions. Food Stamp Program rules allow income deductions, including a 20% deduction on earnings, a standard deduction of $273 given to households with one to five members and $285 to households with six or more members, a deduction for dependent care costs, medical expenses over $35 for elderly or disabled household members, and a shelter/utility deduction not to exceed $854 for most households.  There is no limit on shelter/utility deductions for households that contain an elderly or disabled individual


(Effective 10/1/17 through 9/30/18)

Household Size

Gross Income

Net Limit

























Each additional





Benefit amounts depend on a household's size, net income, and location of residence. Generally, the larger the household or the lower the net income the higher the Food Stamp benefit. Also, Food Stamp Program rules allow households in some rural areas to receive a higher benefit.


(Effective 10/1/17 through 9/30/18)

Household Size


Rural I

Rural II

































Each additional





USDA Non-Discrimination Statement
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA (not all bases apply to all programs). Remedies and complaint filing deadlines vary by program or incident.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible Agency or USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at How to File a Program Discrimination Complaint and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email:
USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.