Skip to content
Table of Contents
Contact Information:
Email HAP Staff at:
Phone: (800) 470-3058
(907) 465-3058 (Juneau)

Fax: (907) 465-3319
Toll Free Fax: (888) 282-3319

PO Box 110642
Juneau, AK 99811-0642

Benefit Information Hotline:
(888) 804-6330
(Outside Anchorage)

(907) 269-5777 (In Anchorage)

FY 2019 Income Guidelines
​# of
in Home

Heating Assistance Program (HAP)

The Heating Assistance Program (HAP) is designed to promote the general welfare and safeguard the health and well-being of Alaska's population by​ offsetting the cost of home heating for eligible Alaskan residents. 


We Apologize For The Lack of Notice

December 28, 2018 - The Heating Assistance Program purchased new software this year which needed to be customized for Alaska’s needs. This has caused delays with processing, issuing benefits, and notifying our applicants of the status of their application.  

Two vital components of the program, our ability to update the IVR hotline with current information, and our ability to generate notices to our applicants are being finalized this week. We realize that these two issues impact our ability to communicate the status of your application with you and are addressing them as quickly as possible. We expect to have both of these issues resolved by the end of December at the latest.  

As of December 28th, we have successfully generated several payment runs and have sent money to vendors but, as indicated above, are still waiting for a vehicle to notify our clients of their awards.

The Program is currently working applications received on or before October 30. If you submitted an application before that date, feel free to contact us to find out if your benefit has already been sent to your vendor.

Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Program Basics

The Heating Assistance Program assists households with income at or below 150% of the federal poverty income guidelines, who have a minimum of $200 in out-of-pocket heating costs per year, and meet all other eligibility criteria.  The benefit is a one-time payment to the household’s vendor, sent to the vendor, and applied to the customer’s account as a credit.   It is open to homeowners and renters. 
The program opens on October 1.  Applications are available at Department of Public Assistance offices throughout the state, WIC offices, vendor locations, senior centers, and on line at beginning on October 1.  You can also contact the Heating Assistance Office at 1-800-470-3058 or and we’d be more than happy to mail one out to you.
Benefits are issued beginning on November 1.  Applicants can call the State’s IVR Hotline after that date to find out if they are approved for a benefit, how much the benefit is, and which vendor it was sent to.  Calls to the IVR Hotline prior to November 1 give out information from the previous year and the information is not accurate or current.  One benefit is issued per “season” which runs from October 1 through April 30. For more information, please visit the IVR Hotline section of our Client Resources page.
The last day to apply for heating assistance each year is April 30. 
The program can also assist with deposits to establish service in subsidized rental buildings in which heat is included in the rent but the tenant pays for their own electric or gas for cooking.  This component is known as the Subsidized Rental Housing Utility Deposit (SRHUD).  Applications for the Subsidized Rental Housing Deposit are accepted year round. 2019 SHRUD Program application.