Skip to content

How long will it take?
It may take up to 45 days to process your application. Continue to pay your bills while waiting for a decision on your application. If your bills are overdue or you are in danger of running out of fuel, contact your heat or utility company to set up a deferred payment agreement. Let them know you have applied for Heating Assistance.

How can I check on my application?
You can check to see if we received your application or find out your grant amount by calling our 24-hour information hotline: Anchorage 269-5777 or all other areas toll free 1-888-804-6330. Please note that the hotline will not be updated until November 3, 2014. If you call prior to that date, you will be listening to last year’s award information; not information from FY 2015.  Please call after November 3 for FY 2015 award information. You will be asked:

  • The social security number of the person listed on page 1, question 2, of your application;
  • Your security code is the last four digits of the phone number listed on page 1, question 2, of your application. If there is not a daytime phone listed, use message or cell number.
  • If you did not list any phone numbers, your security code will be the 4 digit birth year of the person listed on page 1, question 2 of your application.

For your records, write your security code here _____________.

How often can I receive Heating Assistance?

You can receive one grant each season. The season runs from October 1 to April 30. The first payments will be processed November 3, 2014.

How are Heating Assistance grants calculated?
Heating Assistance grants are calculated using a point system which considers: the area of the state where you live, fuel type, dwelling type, household size and income. Each item has a point value. If you have low heating cost points, you may not qualify.

How we determine benefits (pdf)

Community Heating Points documents (pdf)


Are the grants sent directly to me?
In most cases, your grant is paid to your fuel and/or electric company.

Do I qualify if my heat is included in my rent?
If heat is included in your rent and you do not live in subsidized housing, you may qualify for Heating Assistance.

Do I qualify if I live in Section 8 or subsidized housing?

Heating Assistance: If heat is included in your rent, you do not qualify for Heating Assistance.

SRHUD: If you are requesting help with a utility deposit required to establish electric service and/or natural gas for general use for Section 8 or subsidized rental housing and heat is included in your rent, you may be eligible. If you pay for your heat you will not qualify.

Can I apply for Heating Assistance if I do not live in the home?
No. You must live in the home to qualify.

How do I report income? (Attach copies of all pay stubs and proof of other income received the month prior to the month you sign your application for all members of the household.) If you are a seasonal worker or self-employed go to Form B or C in the application packet to determine your monthly income.

For individuals that are self-employed, seasonally employed, or work rotating/variable work schedules, an average of the previous 12 months income is used to determine eligibility.  Use the chart to help you decide if you should apply for the 2014-2015 winter season.

Application signed in:  Provide proof of all income received in: Application signed in:

Provide proof of all income received in:


September August January



October September February



Do I report my Permanent Fund Dividend and Senior Benefits payments?
PFD and Senior Benefits income is not counted towards your eligibility for Heating Assistance. However, list it as it helps understand how you are meeting your expenses.

Can I transfer my grant?
Once you have received your grant, it cannot be transferred unless you have moved to an area that is served by a different heat/electric company. Contact the Heating Assistance office if you move so we can help you transfer your grant.

Can part of my grant be sent to my electric company?
If you would like 25% of your grant to go to your electric company, you must check the “yes” box on Question 24, provide the required information on Question 26, and include a copy of your electric bill with your application. You must indicate this request when you apply. Changes cannot be made after your grant has been issued.

What determines how much of a grant I will receive?
Benefits are based on the following information:

  • Income for the month prior to the date of signature on the application (or a monthly average for the past 12 months if seasonally or self-employed)
  • The number of persons in your household, and the number of households living in your home
  • The main source of heat for your home
  • The type of dwelling you live in (apartment, trailer, etc.)
  • Whether or not your dwelling is subsidized (rent payment based on your income through ASHA, HUD, Section 8, etc.)
  • The number of bedrooms in your dwelling
  • The community you live in

A grant amount is generated based on this information entered into the computer system.

Return to the Heating Assistance Program Page