Skip to content
Shawnda O'Brien
Shawnda O'Brien


Vitamin D bannerVitamin D is important for strong bones and may contribute to overall good health. Alaskans should select foods that are high in vitamin D, such as Alaska salmon, and should talk with their health care provider about vitamin D and the risks and benefits of supplementation.

News & Updates

Benefit Verifications
To verify Alaska program participation, the preferred contact method is to send requests via email to If necessary, a fax can be sent to (907) 269-3099. Please include agency contact information in case we have a question about your request. Each request must include the client’s full name, date of birth, SSN or last 4 of the SSN, current mailing address, a list of all household members that are applying for assistance, and a brief description of what verification is needed. If the names of all household members are not included, the response may not be completely accurate. A signed release from the program participant is normally required for the Division of Public Assistance to release this information. Questions about a verification request can be directed to (907) 269-7880.
Email (preferred contact method):

Fax: (907) 269-3099
Phone: (907) 269-7880


  • December 11, 2019: At the direction of Governor Mike Dunleavy, the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services’ Division of Public Assistance (DPA) is developing a plan for individuals who receive cash payments from the Adult Public Assistance (APA) program and we are working closely with the Social Security Administration in order to implement this change on an expedited basis. If any cases are not able to be worked prior to January 1, a supplemental benefit will be issued to individuals in January.

    Some recipients of the APA program may have recently received a letter in the mail about upcoming changes to the program including a reduction in benefits. Because of recent efforts to restore funding those individual case letters can be ignored and new letters will be sent out to individuals.

    If you have questions after you receive this case specific notice, contact your local public assistance office.
  • November 18, 2019: The Division of Public Assistance became aware on Monday, Nov. 18, of an issue with the electronic benefit transfer (EBT) cards that were issued between Nov. 6 and 15, 2019. System malfunctions in the cards have prohibited the magnetic strip on these cards from being activated properly.

    The division is in the process of reissuing these malfunctioning cards that were mailed between Nov. 6 to 15, 2019. Please destroy your old card and replace it with the one issued to you by mail postmarked after Nov. 16.  

    If you have any questions please contact our office directly at 888-620-1111 or visit your local Public Assistance Office.

  • October 22, 2019: Effective Oct. 1, 2019, DPA has been updating the work requirements for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipients that are able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWD). Some adults may receive SNAP benefits for only 3 months in a 3 year period if they do not meet special work requirements. DPA is working cases, and is contacting individuals if they are under the ADAWD criteria.

    Alaska census areas that will have the ABAWD implemented include: Aleutians East Borough, Aleutians West Borough, Anchorage, Dillingham Census Area, Fairbanks North Star Borough, Juneau, Kenai Peninsula Borough, Ketchikan Gateway Borough, Kodiak Island Borough, Matanuska-Susitna Borough, North Slope Borough and Sitka.

    Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents – Frequently Asked Questions

  • February 19, 2019 - The IVR Hotline Is Now Available
    The IVR Hotline is now available for information on your Heating Assistance Program (HAP) application! Call 1-888-804-6330 from anywhere within the State of Alaska or (907) 269-5777 in Anchorage and follow the prompts to find out the most current information on the processing timeline for the HAP program as well as the status of your Heating Assistance application. You will need your application ID number to find out the status of your application. You can find your application ID number on the upper right corner of the letter we sent you notifying you that we received your application. We thank you for your patience as we work to upgrade the HAP software.

  • January 23, 2019 -Notification Letter of Information Compromised
    This notice was sent to residents at addresses that have been or still are a participant of the Department of Health & Social Services, Division of Public Assistance programs. It notified individuals on April 26, 2018, it was discovered that information contained in the DPA’s eligibility database may have been breached. The notice provided things individuals can do to minimize their risk.

  • June 28, 2018 -HIPAA and APIPA Breach Notification?
    ANCHORAGE – The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) had a security breach which may have disclosed personal information of individuals who have interacted with Division of Public Assistance (DPA) in the Northern region. Due to the potential for stolen personal information, DHSS urges Alaskans who have been involved with the DPA Northern region offices to take actions to protect themselves from identity theft. (more?)

Office Changes

Aug. 8, 2017 - Sitka Office Closure
The Sitka Public Assistance Office will be closed until further notice due to staff vacancies. The Juneau District Office will be processing applications and providing the full range of services to the Sitka Community. (Read more)


The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Inspector General (OIG) recently confirmed that the HHS OIG Hotline telephone number is being used as part of a telephone spoofing scam targeting individuals throughout the country. Learn more...

A phone number that was once used for the Denali KidCare program is now being used to ask people for their credit card number in order to win a prize. The phone number related to this activity is 888-318-8890. This is not a State of Alaska government phone number. People should not call this number or give out Medicaid or credit card information.

Emergency Helplines

Pregnant Women
If you have submitted an application for Pregnant Woman Medicaid and have not received a notice informing you of the status of your application, please call 1.844.864.2229 (BABY).  Please be prepared to provide your case number, your full name, social security number, and a valid phone number.
Medical Emergencies
Please call 1.844.231.7880, if you submitted an application for Medicaid and someone is experiencing an emergent need for medical assistance such as
  • Medical procedures to address a life threatening illness or injury
  • Travel for high risk medical procedures
  • Prescriptions that need to be filled
Community Resources
For information about community resources that may help you until your application is processed, please call 2-1-1.

Medicaid Recipient Helpline
If you are a recipient or a recipient advocate and have questions about Medicaid coverage, please call toll free
800.780.9972 statewide Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and
5 p.m. or email the Helpline staff at: