Other Loan Repayment Options
Alaska’s SHARP Program provides one support-for-service option for clinicians seeking loan repayment or scholarship opportunities. If you applied for SHARP but did not receive a placement, or you are interested in other loan repayment options, this page provides some possibilities.
National Health Service Corps
The NHSC Loan Repayment Program is open to licensed primary care medical, dental, and mental and behavioral health providers who are employed or have accepted an offer of employment at an NHSC-approved site. and will begin working by July 15, 2014. Awardees practice in a Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs). The amount of the award depends on the HPSA score. In FY2013 there were a total of 4,505 awards made (2,106 new and 2,399 continuations) totaling $169.7 million.
The Students to Service Program accepts students in their last year of medical school and provides tuition and loan repayment assistance. In return, students commit to serving for a minimum of three years in a Health Professional Shortage Area.
Indian Health Service Loan Repayment Program
The IHS Loan Repayment Program awards up to $40,000 for the repayment of qualified student loans in exchange for an initial two-year service commitment to practice at an approved site.
Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program
The HRSA Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program provides registered nurses (including advanced practice registered nurses and nursing faculty) with the opportunity to pay off 60 percent of unpaid nursing student loans in two years, with further repayment available for an optional third year.
Nurse Corps Scholarship Program
The HRSA Nurse Corps Scholarship Program enables students enrolled in nursing programs to receive funding for tuition and other educational costs in exchange for working at an eligible Critical Shortage Facility (CSF) upon graduation.
Top 10 (plus 2) Reasons
Why NHSC LRP Applications Are Not Funded
- Depleted Funding
- Applicant’s Site is Not in a Designated HPSA
- Applicant Has Not Provided Enough Hours Worked for Service Type Selected
- Site Inactive or Terminated
- Missing Required Documentation – e.g. citizenship, uploaded incorrect loan docs
- Incorrect Proof of Citizenship
- Reponses on Employment Verification Equal PPO and Applicant Selected Half-Time
- Expired Clinical License
- Start Date (to begin working) is After July 15th (or current deadline)
- Ineligible Loans
- Default on Federal Payment Obligations
- Non-compliance with Current NHSC or NURSE Corps Service Obligation (Continuations & Scholars)