Option I: Traditional SHARP
SHARP-I is our traditional option, now in its 4th year. It offers loan repayment for primary care clinicians working in federal HRSA health profession shortage areas (HPSAs), largely with underserved population. To date, 74 clinicians have received this support-for-service benefit under 2-year contracts, working in a range of primary care medical, behavioral health and dental occupations. Settings include community health centers, tribal health clinics, critical access hospitals, prisons and community mental health centers, amongst others. SHARP-I is jointly funded by at least 50% from non-federal sources (State-GF, and Alaska Mental Health Trust Authority), and up to 50% from federal HRSA.
Alaska receives its federal HRSA-SLRP support via submission of competitive proposals, in response to federal posting of Requests-for-Proposals (RFP). The SHARP Program has submitted a grant application to HRSA that seeks to fund at least 78 FTEs. SHARP has submitted successful HRSA-SLRP proposals twice in prior years. If that proposal is successful it is likely that our Program would be soliciting another round of SHARP-I clinician and site applications during Fall 2014.
It is possible to find health professional shortage areas (HPSAs) in Alaska by using the HPSA by State and County locator. This allows prospective SHARP-I clinicians to find out which areas of the state are eligible for SHARP-I placement.
The following are SHARP-eligible clinician occupations. Each participant must have full Alaskan licensure to practice his or her healthcare occupation at the effective date of SHARP service.
- (a) Primary Care Physician - allopathic (MD) and osteopathic (DO) (family clinician, internist, pediatrician, obstetrician and gynecologist, geriatricians, and general psychiatrist), and
- (b) Pharmacist.
- (a) Nurse clinician (NPs),
- (b) Physician assistant, (PAs);
- (c) Registered nurse (RN), and
- (d) Certified nurse midwife (CNM).
- Dentist (DDS or DMD), both General Practice, and Pediatric
- Registered clinical dental hygienist (RDH)
Behavioral Health Occupations
- (a) Health service psychologist, clinical or counseling (Ph.D. or PsyD),
- (b) Clinical social worker (LCSW),
- (c) Psychiatric nurse specialist (PNS);
- (d) Licensed professional counselor (LPC), and
- (e) Marriage & family therapist (MFT).
Amount of Awards
- $35,000 per year; Very Hard-to-Fill $47,000 per year.
- $20,000 per year; Very Hard-to-Fill $27,000 per year.
Payments of up to one calendar-quarter of the annual award are made following the end of each three months of service.
We recommend that all interested parties check the SHARP homepage periodically for news on all program updates.