1998 Annual Report
Chapters in this report have been converted
into PDF documents requiring Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or
higher. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed
on your computer, click on the Adobe logo to download the
free software now.
HOW THIS REPORT IS ORGANIZED
- View the 1998 Annual Report in it's entirety. Use either
the Table of Contents or bookmarks to navigate through the document.
- The executive summary includes population estimates, vital
events (births, deaths, marriages, divorces and adoptions),
and rates in Alaska for the 1998 calendar year.
- The introduction provides an overview of Alaska, information
on population and demographics and an explanation of how vital
statistics are collected and recorded.
- This chapter includes tables and charts showing numbers of
births and rates by census areas and Native regional corporation
boundaries; births by race, marital status, age, and education
of mothers; age of fathers, prenatal care, place of birth, birth
attendants, and birth weight.
and Infant Deaths
- This chapter includes tables showing fetal deaths by census
areas and Native regional corporation boundaries, mother's age
and length of gestation; and infant deaths and mortality rates
by census areas, Native regional corporations, and causes of
- This chapter provides specific information on deaths to children
from ages 1 through17 years of age.
- The adoption chapter provides information on census areas
and Native regional corporation boundaries where adoption decrees
were granted; adoptions by age, race, and birth place of children;
and race of adoptive parents.
- This chapter provides information on the number and rates
of marriages and divorces by residence, and marriages by ages
of brides and grooms.
- This chapter includes charts and tables on deaths by census
area and Native regional corporation area; death rates, causes
of death; and age, gender, and race of decedents.
- This section includes the bibliographical references for the
A: Definition of Terms
- Appendix A contains definitions of terms used in the annual
B: Technical Notes
- Appendix B contains technical information explaining use of
vital statistics and formula calculations.
C: ICD9 Codes
- Appendix C shows ICD9 codes used in specific causes of death.
D: Prenatal Care
- Appendix D explains the criteria for determining level of
E: Determination of Child's Race
- Appendix E explains how a child's race at birth is determined
for use in this report.
F: Year 2000 Health Objectives
- Appendix F shows several Year 2000 health objectives and the
measures achieved for each in 1996 through 1998.
- Appendix G: Sample Certificates (Not available)
H: Geographic Information
- Appendix H includes each village in Alaska and the census
area and Native regional corporation within which it lies.
I: Population Overview
- Appendix I includes population estimates for 1998 used in
J: Other Data Sources
- Appendix J includes addresses and phone numbers for other
data sources within the Department of Health and Social Services.
HOW TO OBTAIN A PRINTED COPY
The 1998 Annual Report of the Bureau of Vital Statistics is available
at many local libraries throughout the state. A limited
number of printed copies are available directly from the Bureau.
We welcome any comments, questions, or concerns you may have about
this report. You may contact us at:
Alaska Department of Health and Social Services
Division of Public Health
Bureau of Vital Statistics
5441 Commercial Blvd.
Juneau, Alaska 99801
Phone: (907) 465-8604
Fax: (907) 465-4689
Most of the data and health indicators presented in this report
are based upon information supplied by many people throughout
the state. Birth mothers, doctors, midwives, other birth attendants,
medical facilities, medical examiners, magistrates, funeral directors,
and a host of other individuals complete information on vital
The staff of the Bureau of Vital Statistics extends our gratitude
to each person who participated in our data gathering effort.
Accurate data are essential to the Bureau's efforts to report
reliable vital event information. We appreciate the assistance
of others in maintaining the integrity of our data.
Return to the top of this page