Alaskans helping Alaskans get more out of their Medicare
We provide one–on–one counseling to Medicare beneficiaries and their families.
We also teach how to spot and report Medicare errors, waste and fraud.
Questions? Contact us:
In Anchorage: 907-269-3680
Toll–free within Alaska:800-478-6065
TTY: 800-770-8973 firstname.lastname@example.org
Need to Contact Social Security?
Call 1-800-772-1213 Mon-Fri 7a.m.-7p.m. all time zones.
Now taking new Medicare patients: Please call for an appointment
- Anchorage Neighborhood Health Center, 907-743-7200
- Providence Senior Care Center, 907-212-3420
- Alaska Medicare Clinic, 907-433-5100
We are funded through two programs: State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP) and Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP).
SHIP funds personalized counseling, education and outreach to Medicare beneficiaries and their families. This allows people to better understand and utilize their Medicare benefits. SHIP is a program of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) cms.gov.
SMP funds education for Medicare beneficiaries and others on how to spot and report potential Medicare errors, fraud, waste and abuse. SMP is a program of the Administration for Community Living (ACL).
In the news
- Diabetics: If you get your supplies home delivered,
Medicare is kicking off a new way of getting diabetic supplies to people’s homes on July 1, 2013: mail order through approved national suppliers.
The new change means significant savings for Medicare recipients (a $5 copay instead of $15) and for Medicare(which will pay $22 instead of $78 for 100 test strips and lancets.) The change also curbs fraud and abuse.
Medicare recipients will need to sign up with one of the national suppliers to have delivery of their supplies covered. Go to medicare.gov/supplier and type in your zip code for a list of suppliers, or call 1-800-MEDICARE(800-633-4227). Some may carry some brands and not others, so you may need to call around if you have a preference on brands.
People are also welcome to pick up, or have someone pick up, supplies at their local provider if they prefer.
The Alaska Department of Health & Social Services’ PRESS RELEASE.
- Jeanné Larson Medicare 101 on the AARP Show with Ann Secrest - Part I (video)
- Jeanné Larson Medicare 101 on the AARP Show with Ann Secrest - Part II (video)
- Medicare Rural radio public service announcement (mp3)
- KTVA Channel 11 news interview getting the word out for Medicare Part D sign up.(wmv)
- Senators Mark Begich (Alaska) and Ron Wyden (Oregon) address the Medicare volunteer counselors at their annual training conference. Aug., 2012
- A proposed bill in the Alaska state legislature would require more notification for prescription drug cost changes. KTUU News Source. March 21, 2012
- Live interview: Judith Bendersky and Jeanne Larson give insight regarding Medicare clinics and the increasing population of Medicare recipients in Alaska. Jan., 2012
- Live interview: Judith Bendersky shows a senior the options to save money during open enrollment for prescription drug coverage of Medicare. Nov., 2011
- Live interview: Judith Bendersky explains navigating through Medicare, Medicaid and healthcare reform. Feb. 28, 2011