Steps to Become a Medicare Counselor
The Alaska Medicare Information Office relies on trained volunteers throughout the state to help Alaskans with Medicare. Since Alaska is spread out, you can become a trained and certified volunteer counselor from home.
Should you become a State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP) and/or a Senior Medicare Programs (SMP) volunteer counselor?
- Yes, if you enjoy helping people
- Are dependable, patient, and compassionate
- Are able to understand and explain complex issues
- Can protect client confidentiality
- Can work during the workday
- Have easy access to the web and email
If this describes you, see what the next steps are:
- Step 1. volunteer application HERE.
- Step 2. Meet by phone or in person with Nila Morgan at (907) 269-4199 or 1-800-478-6065.
- Step 3. Join our Listserv HERE.
- Step 4. Familiarize yourself with our Medicare website via www.medicare.alaska.gov
- Step 5. Complete the online self–study modules.
- Step 6. Contact us for access to Alaska's Online Assessment to become a Certified Medicare Counselor.
- Step 7. Get Registered with SHIPTalk
- Step 8. Complete the Memorandum of Agreement(keep a copy, as it’s your job description)
- Step 9. Start counseling with another Certified Medicare Counselor.
For additional training opportunities or if you have questions about these steps contact
Nila Morgan, Volunteer Coordinator at (907) 269-4199 or 1-800-478-6065.
Resources for Certified Medicare Counselors
Counseling Forms and Resources
Client Contact Forms
All counselors are highly encouraged to track all Medicare-related counseling and conversations using either of the following Client Contact Forms:
SHIPtalk Data Entry
After a client contact about Medicare or a public/media event please follow these instructions to record your contact on https://shipnpr.shiptalk.org/
Medicare Counselor Designated Hotline (1-888-647-6701)
Good news for Alaska Medicare Counselors - the Medicare Hotline is faster than the regular 1-800-MEDICARE! Here's how it works:
- You need a UNIQUE I.D. to access this hotline. Get your I.D. HERE.
- Complete this (Attestation of Confidentiality)and fax to:
Judith or Jeanné at (907) 269-2045
- Dial 1-888-647-6701
When prompted, enter your unique ID which starts with 02.
CMS Intake Form (PDF) If you are unable to resolve issues with the Medicare Hotline, use this form to send an intake to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).