Skip to content

Webinars

Medicare Information Office (Alaska SHIP & SMP) – 2014 Webinar Series All Webinars will be provided by Staff and invited guests; Format will include 40-60 minute presentation of content with breaks and followed by 30 minutes of Q and A.

Medicare A, B, C, & D – The Big Picture

2/26/14       1:00-2:00 pm AKDT     View WEBINAR Replay
  • This event will provide Medicare training information and materials that are current, accurate, and consistent to those who are new to Medicare and those wanting a refresher. After completing this course, you should be able to correctly:
    • Recognize the Medicare program
    • Recognize the parts of Medicare (A, B, C & D)

Medicare Part A & B – a deeper dive

3/12/14       1:00-2:00 pm AKDT     View WEBINAR Replay
  • This webinar is  a deeper dive into Part A & B coverage, costs, how to pay for Medicare, and coordination with other insurances. This is the basics benefits with more depth, a good review of premiums, deductibles and co-insurances associated with Parts A and B, and look at coordination with other insurances like Alaska Care, TRICARE, Federal Employee Health Benefits, and how Medicare interacts with other systems such as V.A. and tribal health.

Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap)

3/26/14       1:00-2:00 pm AKDT     View WEBINAR Replay
  • This session focuses on the super important Medicare Supplements. These are the plans people should consider if they don't have other health insurance that pays after Medicare. Medicare pays 80% of the approved amount and people have to either pay the remaining 20% or buy a supplement for that coverage. With no Medicare Advantage plans in Alaska, this is a very key piece of the Medicare pie for folks just getting started with Medicare.

Medicare Part D – Drug Coverage

4/9/14       1:00-2:00 pm AKDT       View WEBINAR Replay
  • This webinar will cover the basic features of Part D including who need a drug plan, who doesn't considerations while comparing plans; We will dive into the plan finder on Medicare.gov and do a sample drug plan comparison showing you how to read the coverage information that beneficiaries need to make an informed decision, how to navigate restrictions that plans might place on certain medications, how to decipher annual deductibles, initial coverage period, donut hole period and catastrophic period.

Help with Medicare Costs – LIS, MSP, LINET, Oh my!

4/23/14       1:00-2:00 pm AKDT      View WEBINAR Replay
  • Medicare costs can be expensive for beneficiaries living on a fixed income. This webinar will cover screening people and helping them apply for limited-income assistance programs. We will show you how to use the "Guide to LIS Mailings" which will help you navigate and interpret the numerous letter beneficiaries receive when eligible for financial assistance. We will also discuss the Limited Income Newly Eligible Transition (LINET) program those who qualify for help with drug plan cost and have not yet enrolled in a Medicare Part D drug plan. Don't miss the excitement!

Who Pays First? Medicare Coordination of Benefits

5/7/14       1:00-2:00 pm AKDT      View WEBINAR Replay
  • Medicare is typically the primary payer, but there are times when Medicare is the secondary payer or may not pay at all! Learn about how Medicare works with other insurances such as retiree, union, V.A., IHS. What about when a person’s on disability? We'll describe the Initial Enrollment Questionnaire (IEQ), the role of the Medicare Coordination of Benefits and Recovery Contractor and what happens when a Worker's Comp or an auto insurance policy pays, conditional payment through Medicare.

Resources & Casework for Medicare Counselors

5/21/14       1:00-2:00 pm AKDT      View WEBINAR Replay
  • Designed for anyone in the network that is or plans to become a Medicare Counselor to help others understand Medicare. If you are working with the Medicare Information Office to provide one-on-one counseling or Public & Media outreach, your actions should be counted in our online database at shipnpr.shiptalk.org. We'll show you how fast and easy it is, as well as the forms you should use to track these events. Certified Counselors can request a unique I.D., which gives quick access to Medicare's hotline and beneficiary help including benefits, claims, Part D enrollment, and more. You will also get an introduction to the resources at mymedicare.gov and the Medicare Information Office website www.medicare.alaska.gov