Skip to content

Nursing Facility Transition Program


The funds from the Nursing Facility Transition Program can be used to help an elderly person or individual with a disability transition from a nursing facility back into the community. Funds are available, up to a maximum of $3500, for individuals wishing to transition from a nursing home with limited income and who qualify for home and community based services that will meet their needs.

We can provide one-time funds for:

  1. Home or environmental modifications;
  2. Travel/room/board to bring caregivers in from a rural community to receive training;
  3. Trial trips to home or an assisted living home;
  4. Payment for an appropriate worker for skill level needed;
  5. Security deposits;
  6. One-time initial cleaning of home;
  7. Basic furnishings necessary to set up a livable home;
  8. Transportation to the new home.
  9. Other needed items or services may be approved by Program Coordinators.

The grant is used only for one-time costs associated with the transition; thereafter, the Medicaid program will pay for all services when the HCBS waiver is approved, or services through other funded programs.

Who Qualifies?

  1. Individuals who are currently in an institutional setting and want to be transitioned
  2. Services/supports available and in place for client to live in community

Initiating Service

Have your Care Coordinator/Case Manager contact the local Center for Independent Living (CIL) or Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC):

  • Kenai Peninsula Independent Living Center 1-800-770-7911 (toll-free)
  • Access Alaska, (Anchorage, Mat-Su Western Alaska) 1-800-770-4488 (toll-free)
  • Access Alaska, (Fairbanks, Interior, Northern Regions) 1-800-770-7940 (toll-free)
  • S.A.I.L. Southeast Alaska ILC 1-800-478-7245 (toll-free)
  • Arctic Access, Kotzebue, Nome 1-877-442-2393 (toll-free)
  • B.B.N.A Bristol Bay Native Association- (Dillingham/Bristol Bay region) 907-842-1902

Please see the linked Nursing Facility Transition Program guide (pdf).

A transition specialist will set up a meeting with you, your family member(s) and a Care Coordinator to develop a “transition plan,” identify options, and refer you to a care coordinator, PCA agency or service provider to apply for services.

Your Care Coordinator will refine your “transition plan,” and you will choose a date to move home.

Then, move home!

Keep in mind that this entire process, depending on how many services must be set up to make your transition successful, may take 1 to 3 months.

If you have any questions about the program, please contact:

    Lisa A. Morley
    State of Alaska - Health and Social Services
    Division of Senior and Disabilities Services
    Health Program Manager III - Grants Unit
    PO Box 110680
    Juneau, Alaska 99811-0680
    Phone: (907) 465-4996