Get Twitter updates via SMS by texting: follow GCDSE to 40404
- 1/25 Job Fair for employers and job-seekers in Anchorage on Feb 19, 10am-2pm!
- 1/23 PRESS RELEASE: The Governor's Council advocates for the passage of Education regulations that recognize FASD for special education services!
- 1/20 Inclusive Practice Awards: The Governor’s Council on Disabilities & Special Education has established an annual award to be given at the Annual Statewide Special Education Conference each February. This award recognizes outstanding educators who work to ensure students with disabilities have the opportunity for an inclusive education with their peers as part of the general education curriculum.
Parents, students, and educators are encouraged to nominate an outstanding educator by completing the nomination form
and returning it to the Council by 5:00 p.m. on January 22, 2016:
- 1/19 the Governor's Council FY15 Annual Report is now available in our "Publications" section!
- 1/13 We need your input! Every five years, the Alaska Governor’s Council on Disabilities and Special Education is required by the United States Administration on Developmental Disabilities to create a five-year state plan. Planning helps the Council decide what it would like to get done during the next five years. The plan will describe the goals, activities, and priorities that the Council will work on during 2017-2021.
Before writing the plan, the Council visited communities across Alaska to find out what people think is important for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities and their families. For those of you who did not get to participate in these community forums, we are seeking input from caregivers, service providers, individuals with disabilities, their families, and the general public!
If you have any questions or need assistance completing the survey, please contact Rich Sanders at (907) 269-5703,toll-free within Alaska at (888) 269-8990, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
We know that your time is valuable and greatly appreciate you providing your feedback and comments on the Governor’s Council on Disabilities and Special Education draft 2012-2017 state plan.
- The Micro Enterprise Fund strives to increase access to Micro Enterprise and self-employment opportunities for persons with disabilities who are Alaska Mental Health Trust Beneficiaries. Grant funds may be used for costs associated with starting a new business, expanding a current business or acquiring an existing business. Applications due Jan 27 at noon for FU16. For more information and applications, click here.
11/24 State Hiring Manager Event: Breakfast with the BEST (Business Employment Services Team), Dec 8, 2015; 8:00-10:00am; Anchorage Midtown Job Center, 3301 Eagle St, Room 104.
- 7/17 Help Fight Housing Discrimination! To learn how you can become a fair housing tester, check out the flyer and brochure.
- 7/16 Governor Walker takes important step toward Medicaid expansion
6/14 The Governor's Council has recently published a report on the housing barriers faced by people with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities. Check it out on our Publications page!
- 3/25 The Council supports Medicaid Expansion! Read our resolution here.
- 3/24 Read about the latest Medicaid changes to the Alaska care coordination system by clicking on our "Medicaid" button to the left!