Child and Family Services Plan (2009-2014)
By Natalie Powers
OCS Program Administrator
Every five years Alaska is required to develop a Child and Family Services Plan (CFSP). The CFSP is a five-year strategic plan that sets forth the vision and unique action steps for how Alaska will accomplish its goals and mandates in order to strengthen the child welfare system.
The State’s Child and Family Services Plan insures that all of the federal mandates and programs that govern the state’s child welfare work are integrated into a continuum of services for children and their families.
There are a number of requirements that must be addressed in the plan and in the Annual Progress and Services Report (APSR). The APSR is an annual report, which provides a summary of the progress OCS has made toward accomplishing the goals outlined in the five-year plan. OCS is in the third year of its current plan. While OCS has accomplished many action items thus far, to continue achieve our goals new action items or projects will be initiated over the next two years.
Some of the highlights of these upcoming action items or initiatives include:
- Enhanced tools for relative search and documentation
- Enhanced case planning training and new case plan templates
- A continued focus on efforts to reduce disproportionality
- Continued work around improving health and mental health screenings
- Screening and treatment of emotional trauma for children
- A plan to address the developmental needs of children under the age of 5
- New protocols for the appropriate use and monitoring of psychotropic medications
- Better alignment of grants in order to provide the services that are really needed for the families we serve
- Improve the supports to Resource Families — streamline Resource Family application processes
- Streamline more automated processes for sending notices regarding child placement changes
Many of CFSP goals and action steps were developed in partnership with stakeholders. OCS has a continued goal to insure that all stakeholders are familiar with our plan and are provided opportunities for feedback and input.
If you have any questions or would like to provide input on these goals or any of Alaska’s CFSP goals, please contact Natalie Powers at 465-2104 or Natalie.email@example.com.
To view the complete copy of OCS’s Five Year Plan, please go to:
To view the completed copy of Alaska’s 2011 Annual Progress and Services Plan, please go to: