Heart Disease and Stroke Treatment
and Secondary Prevention
Goals and Objectives
The goal of the Take Heart Alaska Heart Disease and Stroke Treatment and Secondary Prevention Program is to ensure optimal treatment and secondary prevention for all heart disease and stroke patients.
Supporting Goals and Objectives
- Facilitate the process of communication between tertiary care facilities and primary care providers through effective discharge planning for AMI, CHF, and CVA patients.
- Increase the percentage of hospitals using evidence based standards of care for treatment and secondary prevention of heart disease and stroke.
- Build the business case for benefit coverage for risk assesssment counseling for physical activity, nutrition therapy, and tobacco cessation for all MI, CHF, and stroke patients.
- Support the establishment and implementation of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular guidelines for initial health system contact that are appropriate throughout the state.
- Support the implementation of telestroke medicine in hospitals.