Goals and Objectives
The science of preventing and treating heart disease and stroke continues to improve and evolve. The Take Heart Plan objectives support practitioners' efforts to be up to date on and promote evidence based practices for the treatment and prevention of heart disease and stroke.
Goal: Increase the number of health care providers who practice the following evidence based guidelines:
- The AHRQ 5-A Framework for Behavioral Health Counseling for physical activity and nutrition in their patient's care plan.
- a. Advocate for providers to routinely assess physical activity levels and talk to patients about incorporating physical activity into their daily routine as part of comprehensive clinical preventive services;
- b. Advocate for providers to routinely counsel patients to practice healthy eating habits including increase consumption of fruits, vegetables, and subsistence foods.
- Increase the number of health care providers who are aware of and use current cholestoral guidelines (ATPIII);
- a. Promote the use of ATPIII guidelines in community health centers by contributing to the updates for the Community Health Aid Manual
- Increase the number of health care providers who are aware of and use current blood pressure guidelines (JNCVII);
- a. Promote the use of JNCVII guidelines in community health centers by providing Continuing Medical Education (CME) to providers